Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Looking back how it all started!




This picture always made me laugh, it describes the way I feel. A little bit in disbelieve and stunned, holding on tight, just in case something might happen.

Hard to believe, but I am a non smoker! I haven't had a cigarette in almost 4 months, not one puff, not one drag. I didn’t plan to give up smoking, it just happened; out of the blue I decided to quit smoking -after 35 years and I had no idea what I got myself into!

I am 50 years young and I have never been an adult without cigarettes somewhere nearby! Lately I have heard the question “is it easy” or “is it hard” so often, that I thought I might share my journey with who ever might be interested. I quit “cold turkey” no patch, no gum, no e-cigarettes or pills, I just put one out and walked away! I am no an expert and everything in my blog is only “my point of view”.  This is my journey…not a guide or a recommendation.

There are different forms of addiction and we all react different. However, later on you might get my 2 cents on the subject. As for now, maybe I can “pay it forward” and my silly little notes will inspire one smoker to quit as well. 

Giving up smoking didn't kill me! I wasn't sure about it at first, but I survived and so did everybody around me. I don’t know why, but I started writing a journal right from the start, like my own therapy session at home in front of the computer. I didn't even know I liked writing, so I guess I better learn how to blog now. 

I started smoking when I was 15 years old, way back in the 70′s. Smoking was “in” then, everybody did it and you could smoke everywhere, even in some movie theaters. I remember those times like it all happened yesterday. There was this special little movie theater and we went there and watched “Grease” for the x time…and like our hero’s on screen, we smoked as well! It worked like a magic wand, the cigarette in our hands transformed us. All of a sudden we were grown up’s -or so we thought-, we felt sophisticated and chic….we were cool! 

Fast forward 35 years...and I learned I had to overcome an addiction! 







3 comments:

  1. I am actually here because you visited my blog and I followed the link back! But now I'm here, well done for quitting - I quit on my 68th birthday and I'm now 72 - proof that it can be done at any age!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am actually here because you visited my blog and I followed the link back! But now I'm here, well done for quitting - I quit on my 68th birthday and I'm now 72 - proof that it can be done at any age!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You visited again! How kind :) I'm not sure how I posted twice last time I was here, but feel free to delete one! Are you still off the weed?

    ReplyDelete